Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Honey Bees!!!!

I am so excited!  Our new Honey Bees have arrived!  There is nothing like sitting in the yard watching the cuties fly around. 

Unfortunately our bees from last year did not make it through the winter.  We ordered 2 new packages and went to pick them up over the weekend.

They are very lively and happy Bees! 



In case you didn't know, Bees come in what you call a package.  It's 3 pounds and about 10,000 bees. 

It looks like this



You make sure the queen is doing good (she is in her own little cage within the package) and just dump them out into your hives.  It's kind of scary to watch them fly all over for the first time. But they are very gentle and are just trying to figure out their new home! 

I love when I get a picture of them in flight.  They are just the most amazing creatures!


It's hard to see but I circled them in red.

I'll keep you updated on how they are doing!  If you have any questions let em know in the comments.  I'll try to answer as best I can.  I'll probably just have to ask Nate.  He is the real beekeeper.  I'm more of a bee observer :)

XOXO,

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment