Friday, August 13, 2021

Home made oven fries

 Fries!!!

Do you love french fries?  I do.

 Nate does too.  We especially love spicy fries with tacos.  I'm not sure why.  It just works. 

I used to buy the frozen ones.  The last couple of times I got them they came out of the oven really greasy.  I'm not a health freak by any stretch of the imagination.  But I don't like overly greasy food.  

So, I decided to try to make homemade fries.  

since we always have potatoes in the house it was easy to try.

It took me a few times but I think I have it now!

Here we go!



Step 1: Cut and slice

You can make them whatever size you like.  Just remember the thicker they are the longer they have to be in the oven.  I use 4 large russet potatoes. (we like leftovers )

 
Step 2: soak the potato slices
 
let the potato pieces soak in cold water for at least 30 minutes.  I usually cut mine up and get them soaking as soon as I get home from work.  That way when its time to make dinner they are ready to go.

I use my salad spinner to soak them.  That way i can pull the basket out of the water and it is easy to drain and rinse the potatoes.  

Look at the starch left in the water!



 
Step 3: Rinse and dry
 
I use a flour sack towel to dry them.  It's the easiest way I found.  I tried spinning them in the salad spinner, but it gets off balance easy that way.  #oops #wobble
 
Do you spy my little beagle helper sleeping on the floor?  He's always around to lend a hand(or paw)
 
 

Step 4:  Season   (please ignore the backsplash...we have renovations going on.  I'll share more once we get further along in the process)

Move the fries into a bowl or bag and add seasoning!

I use:
 
about 2 Tbsp of olive oil
1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
4 tsp paprika

You can add just oil, salt and pepper to make plain fries.  Or whatever spices you like.

They're good any way!



Step 5: Mix and arrange in a single layer

This one is easy. Just make sure you try to keep them in a single layer.  They bake much better this way.

Step 6: Bake!

Bake the fries at 425 F for 15-20 minutes, then turn the oven down to 350 F for about another 20 minutes.  Or until your desired crispiness.


That's it!  Easy right?  Let me know if you like them!


XOXO,

Heather





No comments:

Post a Comment